Round brilliant cut (RBC) is the most popular diamond shape among other shapes of diamonds. Cuts like Emerald, Princess, Asscher, Radiant, Cushion, Oval, Pear, Marquise & Heart can be bought online or from local markets. Various diamond shape and cut creates surprising fire and pattern in diamonds, thus diamond shapes adds WOW factor.
Very often people consider "diamond shape" and "diamond cut" as same, however it is totally two different aspects. Diamond cut is quality guidelines in making or cutting of any diamond i.e excellent cut, very good cut, good cut diamonds. Whereas shapes of diamondsare round shape (RBC) heart shape, oval shape etc.
DIAMOND SHAPE GUIDE
- Round Brilliant Cut (RBC): Most common and popular diamond shape. 7 out of every 10 stone sold is round in shape. Reason of the popularity of RBC is the fire, brightness it can create due to its cut angles and mechanics. It consist of 58 facets- 33 facets on top (crown) and 25 facets on bottom (pavilion) of diamond.
FANCY DIAMOND SHAPE
- Princess Shape (SMB): Princess cut diamond is usual in square with L/W ratio 1 to 1.05 considered best. Princess cut diamonds are most popular in fancy shapes. It reflects best light among others fancy shapes and sets perfect in engagement ring. SMB has 58 facets. SMB stands for square modified brilliant
- Emerald Shape (EM): Emerald cut diamond is square or rectangle in shape with 49 to 50 facets. It is created with step cut on pavilion. Emerald shape moreover gives mirror effects with less fire and more of clean or plain crystal visuals.
- Asscher Shape (AS): Asscher cut diamond was first created by Asscher brothers from Holland in 1902. It is actually alteration of emerald cut diamond, AS is square in shape. It has large step facets, small table & higher crown which increase fire and luster.
- Marquise Shape (MQ): Marquise cut diamond is ellipse in shape. It is long and narrow, thus creates illusion of big size. However, due to its mechanics MQ creates bow-tie effect into stone.
- Oval Shape (OL): Oval in shape, this would be more appealing to people who wants unique in RCB. Oval shape diamond have some very good fire pattern thus create brightness. It even creates bow-tie effect when tilt.
- Radiant Shape (RT): Its hybrid shape of cushion and princess. Radiant shape is square in shape with cropped corners. You may find 53 to 70 facets, as it can be made in many variations. Usually RT shape is popular for fancy color diamond.
- Pear Shape (PB): Pear shape is hybrid of round and marquise shape. With sharp corner at one end & round at other side, PB shape is similar to water drop or leaves.
- Heart Shape (HT): Most loved solitaire for valentines and wedding day. Heart shape diamond looks pretty bright & shinny to showcase your love. It has 56 to 58 facets and length-to-width ratio 0.90 to 1.10 would be ideal.
- Cushion Shape (CN): Cushion cut diamond is of pillow shape. It has 58 facets and can be found in square and rectangle shape. It is actually successor of old mine cut diamond.